Monday, July 30, 2012

guatemala: Lifting The Fog

Returning home from Guatemala, I am experiencing a phenomenon called re-entry.

The trip lasted 72 hours, but in all honestly, it felt like we were there for a lifetime.

Thursday morning, I left my posh, comfortable surroundings in Palm Beach, FL headed for Hope of Life in Zacapa, Guatemala. Within 7 hours I was holding orphaned children, some who had been left to die on the street and in landfills. The emotions were simply overwhelming. As a mother, my instict is to provide for and protect my children. First thought: What must these mothers be facing in order to reach the point of abandoning their own children? I would soon find out in the coming days.


Now I am back home....
Surrounded by my four healthy children.
Air-conditioning.
Clean running water.
....And I am in a fog.

How can all of this be real?

As I sit here processing our trip and all that we experienced, I am continually reminded that the God I serve is big. And He is real.

He wants His children cared for. The least of these. The orphans that have nothing to give back. Sometimes, not even a smile. And God is good because He has placed decent & caring people in this world that are doing just that - Helping, caring and loving without any glory at all.

I found Jesus down in Guatemala. I found Him in the face of a 12 year old girl - abused and raped by her step-father, left pregnant and nowhere to go. Until Carlos Vargas reached out his helping hand and showed her the love of Jesus, she would have been short on options and in a desperate position.


I went to Guatemala, hoping to make a difference or change for the people.

In the end, Guatemala changed me.










No comments:

Post a Comment